Here is the Storify (?) that I have created to curate the tweets from #ontsm this past weekend. I’m still mulling over how I want to respond to the entire situation but I thought it worthwhile to make note of the many, many interesting tweets related to the event. Some questions that I have “marinating” [...]
Last December, during Unit Three: 1939-1959 in my Grade Ten Canadian History class, I decided to depart from the newspaper project which was the summative assignment for the unit. In its place, I wanted to provide my students with more choice in both content and format. I also wanted to try to link their final [...]
Today I attended a taping of the Agenda at the Communitech Hub in Kitchener. The topic was “Learning 2030″ and various individuals discussed what schools will look like in eighteen years. In short it was fascinating. Here are the tweets below:
Since I began using twitter a couple of years ago it has become an important tool for my professional development. Below is an example of the types of conversations that are facilitated by Twitter:
Yes, it [...]
I recently responded to a post on TVO’s The Agenda blog asking teachers to share a tool which is indispensable to their teaching. I found this after reading a great post by Rick McCleary on his use of Twitter in the classroom and was inspired to share my use of the Civic Mirror in [...]
As you can see by the lack of activity I’ve taken a hiatus from the Cookie Cutter. As I put the finishing touches on my M.Ed thesis I hope that trend will be reversed. I have so much that I would like to say about education but have had to work to stay focused on [...]
I have finally got the green light from Apple to release my classroom app. Here is the link to the page in the iTunes Store.
I used the third-party web app developer site, Conduit Mobile to build the app. Essentially it is an RSS feed from my classroom blog. But I have also included [...]
I recently heard that Vladimir Putin has proposed to define a 100 book, definitive canon of Russian literature that all students must read before they can graduate. Beyond the somewhat disturbing nature of this proposal, it got me thinking about conformity and deviance within education.
In my everyday teaching practice I find [...]
A lifetime ago I worked in sales for a small consulting firm that specialized in business intelligence software. My job was to sell Cognos (now owned by IBM) software licenses to retail companies. For the record, I was a horrible salesman… and that was with a great product that I believed in!
The product was [...]
I had one of those classes this week.
You know, the ones where the conversation veers off on a tangent, takes a backflip, lands and runs on to another series of tangents. We were all over the map that day.
I love conversation. I love learning through conversation. Often I find that I learn a [...]
May 2013 M T W T F S S « Apr 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Jeffrey Simpson: The tragedy of Alberta’s missing governance - The Globe and Mail
- Try Canvas | Canvas by Instructure
- Who Wouldn't Want The Best Information?
- Anyone using a rubric to "measure" creativity? Like this one: http://t.co/uWXWECR0FK
- SimpleWash, the Easiest Way to Clean Up Your Facebook Page
- This incredible hack lets you hang t-shirts inside your dresser drawers - no folding required. http://t.co/aizL8fEGgu
- Joseph Stiglitz: Principles and Guidelines for Deﬁcit Reduction http://t.co/xsRV5O8REg (pdf)
- CBC's new Kitchener-Waterloo station blends online with radio - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News
- Twitter / ballantynedj: @kempscott this just arrived ...
- Canada ‘light years’ behind U.S. on data mining in election campaigns, time to catch up, say experts | hilltimes.com
- ballantynedj: An awesome resource for tchrs - Teaching Strategies | Facing History and Ourselves http://t.co/QohlArTd75
- ballantynedj: RT @stephenfgordon: Calvin and Hobbes: "Maybe the economy should be discussed in cheap motel rooms" http://t.co/VndJB38E92
- ballantynedj: @SherryFreund My bad. Found this http://t.co/vrpCeb7u9i
- ballantynedj: @mrfusco @Glenn_Booker @JMitchinson re: teens that gravitate to Snapchat. Main feature may not be what it seems http://t.co/WsIPREoLi4
- ballantynedj: RT @OttawaCitizen: BREAKING: NDP will support budget; no spring election in Ontario. http://t.co/iU7arZu9L2 #ottnews #onpoli
- ballantynedj: RT @garyland: Casinos are, well, the crack cocaine of financially challenged cities. #onpoli #topoli
- ballantynedj: FYI @BTLBoucher RT @NNUptown21: Always crispy, delicious and satisfying...it's #friedchicken sammies this week for #brownbagfridays
- ballantynedj: What?! No Beechcombers Theme song? The top 10 Canadian TV theme songs - CBC Music http://t.co/O7ggcALBhL
- ballantynedj: RT @kempscott: "There's going to be a new code on Parliament Hill: bend the rules, you will be punished … " - @pmharper, 2005 #cdnpoIi
- ballantynedj: RT @jpkitchener: #eduhop AKA #rfap13 - Saturday June 1st - RSVP here http://t.co/wHOPJsmEcv